Starbucks sued over pulled offer

11 Sep

A 23 year old New York paralegal is suing Starbucks for $114 million because the coffee chain abruptly cancelled its ill-conceived and hopelessly out of control offer of a free cold drink to anyone brandishing an e-mailed coupon.

From the Seattle Times:

Last month, Starbucks e-mailed a coupon for a free iced beverage to some employees and encouraged them to forward it to friends and family. Starbucks stopped honoring the coupon last week, a month short of its Sept. 30 expiration date, saying it had been “redistributed beyond the original intent.”

The lawsuit, filed in New York County Supreme Court, seeks $114 million in damages for a class that attorney Peter Sullivan figures will include a million New Yorkers.

Says Sullivan:

“In New York, this is of great significance to many people day-to-day,” he said. “There were lines of people outside Starbucks. There are a lot of upset people.”

In other news – news that I am certainly not juxtaposing with the above item in order to make a point – today is the fifth anniversary of the September 11 attacks that killed around 3,000 people in New York and damaged the lives of countless others in unimaginable ways.

(Via Consumerist)

Tags:

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: